Skip to main content

Italy tightens lockdown after coronavirus toll soars


Italy tightened its coronavirus quarantine on Wednesday, ordering bars, restaurants and hairdressing and wonder salons to shut, after the best daily increase in deaths of any country outside China since the outbreak began.
In a televised address to the state, Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said all shops would be closed apart from supermarkets, food stores and chemists and corporations must close all non-essential departments.
"Thank you to any or all Italians who make sacrifices. We are proving to be a good nation," Conte said within the nine-minute broadcast.

"We will only be ready to see the consequences of this great effort in an exceedingly number of weeks," he said, bearing on the daily bulletins announcing the amount of latest cases and fatalities.

On Wednesday the toll in Europe's worst-affected country jumped by 196 in 24 hours to 827. Confirmed cases across the country rose to 12,462 from a previous 10,149.

The latest measures will go from Thursday and remain in situ until quarter day, the prime minister's office said.

"The country needs responsibility from all people, the responsibility of 60 million Italians that are making small and enormous sacrifices daily," Conte said.

Sombre address
His sombre address echoed the words Conte used just two days ago when he widened a quarantine within the worst-hit northern regions to the entire of the country, banning all non-essential travel and public gatherings until April 3, halting sports events and increasing a shutdown of faculties.

The existing restrictions on public gatherings and travel had already emptied streets amid the forced closure of faculties, universities and museums. Many other businesses had also shut.

Cathedrals posted hand-written notes cancelling mass and cafes apologised to their regulars for having to show them away.

The central streets of Rome were deserted on Wednesday evening and buses that are usually filled with commuters ran almost empty.

"I can't even recognise Rome now," 30-year-old Muscovite Yekaterina said while posing alone for a photograph by the usually bustling Trevi Fountain within the heart of Rome.

Under the newest measures, trains and concrete conveyance will still operate, as will essential services like plumbers, mechanics and petrol stations.

Such measures are taking an important toll on Italy's economy and Conte announced earlier put aside 25 billion euros ($28.3bn) to support firms and families and soften the effect of the virus.

Elderly people are particularly vulnerable to the virus and Italy has the oldest population in Europe with nearly 1 / 4 of individuals aged 65 or over.

Most Italians appear to be respecting the foremost severe controls placed on any Western nation since warfare II.

An public opinion poll by the Ixe agency showed 89 percent of Italians backed their authorities' draconian measures, with 78 percent saying they'd support even tougher steps.

People are told to stay a minimum of a metre (three feet) from one another and handshakes are frowned upon. Italians have found themselves setting out to discuss with one another some steps apart - while often laughing about the regulations along the way.

"As soon because the emergency has passed, we are going to organise a free carbonara day for doctors, nurses and healthcare workers," a closing note by a restaurant in Rome's popular Trastevere neighbourhood said.


Comments

Popular Posts

Bobrisky and his lover in bed in a hotel room enjoying themselves (Watch Video)

  Nigerian Barbie doll, Bobrisky took to Snapchat to share a video of himself and his lover in bed at a hotel.   READ ALSO:  Man arrested for having s*x with chickens and his own dog, resulting in the death of 15 chickens READ ALSO:  White man Beaten up Mercilessly by a Black man after calling him a Monkey (Watch Video) READ ALSO:  Argentina legend Diego Maradona dies at age 60 READ ALSO:   Acting DG of NABDA arrested over alleged N400m fraud READ ALSO:  White man Beaten up Mercilessly by a Black man after calling him a Monkey (Watch Video) In the video, the man refused to reveal his face as the cross-dresser tried to introduce him to his fans on Snapchat.  WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW View this post on Instagram A post shared by Elizabethblog (@elizabethblogng)

A real Ghost Caught on Camera in an Abandoned Hospital

A Ghost was seen to have appeared in an Abandoned mental hospital as Urban Explorers sight this on Camera. According to the two explorers, Jamie Osborne and Michael Cosgrove stated that they both went to Rosslynlee Hospital which was abandoned in Scotland near Roslin in Midlothian as they went to explore. READ ALSO:  A Man arrested and Jailed for 21 months after throwing eggs at police station Rooms inside the eerie derelict mental health facility had remained untouched for over a decade when it closed its doors. They had been taking it in turns to pose in a wheelchair that had been left in one of the hospital's rooms when they checked one image which appeared to capture a woman wearing a white gown "reaching over" Michael. READ ALSO:  Teacher In Trouble after Flogging a Student to death Over a Mathematics Question Jamie, from Edinburgh, described how the "air turned cold" when they entered the spooky facility and that they could see their breat

White man Beaten up Mercilessly by a Black man after calling him a Monkey (Watch Video)

A white man was beaten by a black man after calling him a Monkey. It was recorded that this Inicident happened in South Africa. The white man was beaten without mercy by a petrol attendant last night for the racist attack. READ ALSO:  A thief set ablaze in Delta for snatching phone with toy gun (Pictures) READ ALSO:  Bride-To-Be Kidnapped Just Three Weeks To Her Wedding In Jigawa state, Nigeria He was being attacked by the fuel attendant and his colleagues. And he even tried to fight back at a point but was overpowered by the fuel attendants who used a stick and a whip on him for allegedly calling one of them a ‘Monkey.’ WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW View this post on Instagram A post shared by Lindaikejiblog (@lindaikejiblogofficial)

Lady cries out in pain after her boyfriend penetrated in the wrong hole (Watch Video)

An African lady  cried uncontrollably after her boyfriend allegedly penetrated the wrong hole during a bedroom fun. In a Tiktok video which went Viral on social medias, A lady was seen in the video as she was in a great pain fanning her private part which a book as she was heard saying her boyfriend penetrated in the wrong hole. READ MORE: Man wrestles with an alligator as he saves his puppy (Watch video) The Video was posted on Instagram. Watch Video below View this post on Instagram A post shared by HYPED YOUTHS FAN PAGE (@hypedyouths)

"Your mama ain't leaving any time soon" Bobrisky warns "upcoming wannabe Bobriskys" that they can't take his "throne"

Nigerian Barbie doll, Bobrisky warned all upcoming wanna be Bobriskys that who are hoping to come for his throne must work hard. He also warned all those who wants him to be out of his throne that he has no plans of giving up. He wrote: "No one sit on her throne. All dis upcoming wanna be Bobrisky be ready to work extremely hard to sit on dis throne cos ur mama ain’t leaving anytime soon. Still leading as no ONE in Africa." SEE HIS INSTAGRAM POSTS BELOW

Wizard returning from coven mistakenly lands on roof top in Delta state (Watch video)

According to the reports, A young man has been allegedly accused of being a wizard as he Crashed on a Roof top Building at the Okpokpor street in Okpara-Inland in Ethiope-East local government area of Delta State in the afternoon on Saturday November 28. READ MORE:  Child rapist Fainted after being lashed 146 times with cane in Indonesia The man who was holding a hundred naira note in his hand, was identified as Omamuyovwi. He is said to be a commercial motor cycle operator who is well known in the community and married with two kids. It was also gathered that he was beaten with plantain Leaves and also almost set ablazed by was saved by the community Vigilante. READ ALSO:  "Call me evil names, idolator, juju worshipper, God is the final judge of all our actions" - Nigerian man says publicly as he denounced Christianity Eyewitnesses disclosed that Omamuyovwi was taken to his family compound at Igberhe street by the vigilante, where he reportedly confessed t

Nigerian Soldiers assault lady because she refused to greet them (Watch Video)

On Wednesday, November 25, A lady who is Identified as Olaide Oluwo has reposted on social media to demand Justice after she was beaten by Nigerian Army Personnel in Sangotedo, Lagos for not greeting them. READ ALSO:  White man Beaten up Mercilessly by a Black man after calling him a Monkey (Watch Video) According to a video shared online, Olaide said she was assaulted by the military personnel because she did not greet them READ HER STATEMENT BELOW ”This happened to me around 5pm. I did nothing to these people ..I didn’t even look at them until one of them flogged me ! I was walking and this guy insulted me ran after me and then flogged me with koboko! When people confronted them they said it’s cuz I didn’t greet them”   WATCH VIDEO BELOW   pic.twitter.com/JPs0Y3869e — Luu ❤🕊 (@Lucy_Anaaa) November 25, 2020