Skip to main content

Italy tightens lockdown as coronavirus deaths mount


Italy ordered virtually the foremost essential businesses to shut until April 3, tightening a lockdown against the coronavirus, after nearly 800 people died from COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus, on Saturday.

"Only production activities deemed vital for national production are going to be allowed," Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said in an exceedingly video posted to Facebook, but didn't get into detail on the proposals to come back into force via emergency decree on Sunday.


Italy recorded 793 deaths on Saturday, with France and Spain and Germany also reporting steep rises in confirmed cases and fatalities.

Nearly 13,000 people round the world have now died from the disease, in step with data collected by the Johns Hopkins University within the US. quite 304,500 people are diagnosed with the infection, while nearly 92,000 have recovered.

Sunday, March 22
08:45 GMT - NHS nurse appeals shoppers to not panic buy
"You just must stop it!" urged a UK critical care nurse breaking down in tears as she left a supermarket unable to seek out any vegetables and fruits to eat.
08:24 GMT - Romania confirms first coronavirus death
A 67-year-old man who had been plagued by terminal cancer is Romania’s first death thanks to coronavirus.

The deceased was confirmed to be infected on March 18 and was being treated in an exceedingly hospital within the southern Romanian city of Craiova.

Romania, which has recorded 367 cases of coronavirus so far, declared a state of emergency on March 16.

08:11 GMT - Libya UN-recognised government imposes curfew

As fighting within the south of Libya's capital continues, the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA) declared a night-time curfew starting 16:00 GMT to 04:00 GMT to stay the coronavirus out of areas it controls.

The internationally-recognised GNA has also ordered the closure of restaurants, cafes and party while funeral and wedding ceremonies are banned.

No cases are reported in Libya to day, but experts fear a pandemic can be catastrophic thanks to the country's gutted health system.

08:01 GMT - Iran’s Khamenei skeptical about US offer to assist Iran
The offer by the US to assist Iran fight the coronavirus pandemic is strange, said Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

"Several times Americans have offered to assist Iran to contain the virus. apart from the actual fact that there are suspicions about this virus being created by America [...] their offer is strange since they face shortages in their fight against the virus," Khamenei said during a speech in Tehran broadcast live across Iran marking Nowruz, the Persian twelvemonth.

"Iran has the aptitude to beat any reasonably crisis including coronavirus outbreak."

07:45 GMT - China witnessing increase in imported cases
For a fourth consecutive day, China reported a rise within the number of cases imported from overseas, mostly from Chinese people returning home.


The country recorded 46 new cases, virtually one coming from outside China, amid a drastic reduction within the number of domestically transmitted infections.

China is stepping up measures to spot new cases, including diverting all flights thanks to arrive in Beijing to an other airport where passengers will undergo virus screening, government agencies said.

07:24 GMT - Tokyo considering postponing Olympics: Reuters
Tokyo Olympics Games' organisers are considering alternatives to holding the event this summer, two sources told Reuters press association.

If confirmed, the news would mark a change in direction by the japanese government which has up to now excluded postponing the Olympics.

While the coronavirus outbreak has disrupted sports events round the world, Japan has been steadfast in saying that the Games will persist.

The top government spokesman said on Wednesday that Tokyo wasn't preparing for postponement of the event which is planned to start out on July 2020.

07:10 GMT - Bike and auto makers to halt activities in India
India's giant bike maker Hero Motocorp is on the brink of stop operations in the slightest degree its manufacturing facilities until March 31 to safeguard its employees from the outbreak.

With plants in India, Bangladesh and Colombia, Hero accounts for quite 35 percent of the two-wheeler market in India.

Also, US carmaker Fiat Chrysler Automobiles announced it'll suspend production at its plant within the western Indian state of Maharashtra until March 31.

06:45 GMT - Russia to send help to Italy
Russian President Putin has offered to assist Italy to contain the spread of coronavirus.

In a telephone with Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte, Putin offered his support within the type of mobile disinfection vehicles and specialists to assist the worst-hit Italian regions, in step with the Kremlin.

The Russian defence ministry said military transport planes would deliver eight mobile brigades of military medics, special disinfection vehicles and other medical equipment to Italy ranging from Sunday.

- Italy has announced a tightening of its lockdown with all non-essential businesses ordered to shut.

- Singapore has closed its borders to short-term visitors and transit passengers.

- Australia has closed beaches, and is considering more 'draconian' measures to induce people to follow social distancing guidelines.




05:45 GMT - Malaysia announces ninth death
A 48-year-old doctor has died from coronavirus in Malaysia, becoming the primary medical worker to die from the disease.

The man, who was being treated within the northern state of Perlis, had a history of jaunt Turkey, the health ministry said. He had not been involved in treating people with COVID-19.

The country on Sunday deployed the military to help the police in getting people to follow a restricted movement order that's in effect until March 31.

05:25 GMT - Malaysia mosque event organiser says worshippers cooperating with health authorities
People who attended a mass gathering at a mosque in Malaysia that's now linked to 840 confirmed coronavirus cases across geographic region are cooperating with authorities, an organiser said, after the govt said thousands of them were still being traced.

The four-day event is connected with 60 percent of Malaysia's 1,183 cases, likewise as clusters elsewhere within the region including Brunei, Cambodia and Singapore.

"After hearing reports of thousands or participants yet to be screened, many had returned to their district health departments or hospitals repeatedly until their names and details were recorded," Abdullah Cheong, a frontrunner of the event's organising team, said in an exceedingly statement on Saturday.

05:15 GMT - Ecuador's health minister replaced after surge in coronvirus cases
Ecuador's health minister stepped down on Saturday, just hours after authorities announced the amount of confirmed cases had shot up to quite 500, with seven deaths.

Hours after the announcement, officials confirmed the resignation of Health Minister Catalina Andramuno, without providing details, and appointed male monarch Zevallos, a doctor who has worked in several universities, as her replacement.

The labour minister also resigned, a presidential announcement said.

04:35 GMT - First two cases confirmed in geographic area
The Palestinian Health Authority has confirmed the primary two cases of coronavirus within the occupied geographic area.

The two people had recently returned from Pakistan.

04:10 GMT - Japan suspects new virus cluster in southwest
Japan's Oita prefecture confirmed two new coronavirus infections at a medical centre on Sunday, bringing the overall at the power to 14 and making it a suspected cluster, in step with Japanese newswire Kyodo.

Two female nurses who work the Oita eye, one in her 20s and another in her 50s, were diagnosed with the coronavirus although they showed only mild symptoms, Kyodo said.

The medical centre has already confirmed 12 cases, and therefore the southwestern prefecture is conducting tests for about 600 staff and patients who are or were hospitalised there, they said.

Japan has recorded 1,055 cases of domestically-transmitted cases of coronavirus as of Sunday, up 40 from the previous day, in step with public broadcaster NHK.

04:00 GMT - US vice chairman tests negative for coronavirus
The office folks vice chairman Mike Pence says he and his wife have tested negative for the coronavirus.

The couple took the test after one in every of Pence's staff was diagnosed with the virus.

03:50 GMT - Singapore closes to short-term visitors and transit passengers
Singapore has decided to shut its borders to any or all short-term visitors given the "heightened risk" of the coronavirus.

The Ministry of Health says the measures are necessary because 80 percent of confirmed COVID-19 cases over the past three days came from overseas.

03:10 GMT - Scepticism as Asian country claims no cases
North Korea watchers are expressing scepticism - and a few alarm - about the government's claim that the country is coronavirus-free.

Sources have informed them of variety of cases, and that they worry that if it begins to spread within the broader community, the results would be devastating.

03:00 GMT - Turkey confirmed cases rise, partial curfew for vulnerable
Turkey's confirmed cases of coronavirus rose to 947, and therefore the number of dead to 21, the health minister said on Saturday.

Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said some 2,953 tests had been conducted within the previous 24 hours.

The country is additionally planning a partial curfew for citizens over the age of 65 and people with chronic diseases. the inside ministry is predicted to announce more details later.

02:50 GMT - Cases rise within the Philippines
The Philippines has reported 73 new coronavirus cases, bringing the overall to 380, the health ministry said on Sunday.

It also announced six more deaths associated with coronavirus, bringing total fatalities to 25.

Health Undersecretary Rosario Vergeire told DZBB radio that the rise in confirmed cases can be "artificial" because the govt is catching informed a backlog of tests

02:40 GMT - India in 14-hour curfew to limit virus spread
India is about an hour into a 14-hour curfew as a part of its attempts to curb the spread of the virus.

All citizens are told to remain indoors from 01:30 to 15:30 GMT.

"Let us all be a component of this curfew, which is able to add tremendous strength to the fight against the COVID-19 menace," Modi tweeted minutes before the curfew commenced.



The country will stop transit through Singapore.

The measures inherit effect from 23 March at 11:59pm civil time (15:59 GMT).

01:30 GMT - Asian country reports 98 new cases of coronavirus
The Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported 98 new cases of coronavirus, bringing the national total to eight,897.

01:20 GMT - Wuhan reports fourth day with no new cases
Wuhan, where the coronavirus first emerged late last year, said it had no new cases of coronavirus on Saturday, marking the fourth straight day without a replacement infection.

China reported 46 new confirmed cases, virtually one in every of them imported from overseas.

It also said six more people died from COVID-19.

01:00 GMT - Australia to contemplate 'draconian measures' to enforce social distancing
Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said states and territories would consider draconian measures to enforce social distancing after thousands of individuals thronged the country's beaches amid unusually warm weather.

Most of Sydney's main beaches, including Bondi Beach, were closed on Sunday.

"The measures that we are going to be considering tonight means state premiers and chief ministers may need to take way more draconian measures to enforce social distancing," Morrison said in Canberra.

00:15 GMT - Conte says Italy will further tighten lockdown to tackle virus
Italy has ordered virtually the foremost essential businesses to shut until April 3.

"It is that the most difficult crisis in our post-war period," Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said in an exceedingly video posted on Facebook, adding "only production activities deemed vital for national production are going to be allowed."

Conte didn't get into detail on which businesses would need to close under the order which is predicted to come back into effect through an emergency decree on Sunday.

Supermarkets, pharmacies, postal and banking services will remain open and essential public services, including transport, are going to be ensured.

"We are slowing down the country's production engine, but we aren't stopping it," Conte said.

00:00 GMT - UK urges more susceptible to 'stay at home'
Some 1.5 million people identified by the United Kingdom's National Health Service (NHS) as being at higher risk of severe illness if they contract coronavirus are being urged to remain reception to safeguard themselves.

The people include people who have received organ transplants, those living with severe respiratory conditions or specific cancers, and a few receiving certain kinds of drug treatments.

They will be contacted by their doctor and strongly advised to remain reception for a period of a minimum of 12 weeks.

Comments

Popular Posts

Bobrisky and his lover in bed in a hotel room enjoying themselves (Watch Video)

  Nigerian Barbie doll, Bobrisky took to Snapchat to share a video of himself and his lover in bed at a hotel.   READ ALSO:  Man arrested for having s*x with chickens and his own dog, resulting in the death of 15 chickens READ ALSO:  White man Beaten up Mercilessly by a Black man after calling him a Monkey (Watch Video) READ ALSO:  Argentina legend Diego Maradona dies at age 60 READ ALSO:   Acting DG of NABDA arrested over alleged N400m fraud READ ALSO:  White man Beaten up Mercilessly by a Black man after calling him a Monkey (Watch Video) In the video, the man refused to reveal his face as the cross-dresser tried to introduce him to his fans on Snapchat.  WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW View this post on Instagram A post shared by Elizabethblog (@elizabethblogng)

White man Beaten up Mercilessly by a Black man after calling him a Monkey (Watch Video)

A white man was beaten by a black man after calling him a Monkey. It was recorded that this Inicident happened in South Africa. The white man was beaten without mercy by a petrol attendant last night for the racist attack. READ ALSO:  A thief set ablaze in Delta for snatching phone with toy gun (Pictures) READ ALSO:  Bride-To-Be Kidnapped Just Three Weeks To Her Wedding In Jigawa state, Nigeria He was being attacked by the fuel attendant and his colleagues. And he even tried to fight back at a point but was overpowered by the fuel attendants who used a stick and a whip on him for allegedly calling one of them a ‘Monkey.’ WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW View this post on Instagram A post shared by Lindaikejiblog (@lindaikejiblogofficial)

Lady cries out in pain after her boyfriend penetrated in the wrong hole (Watch Video)

An African lady  cried uncontrollably after her boyfriend allegedly penetrated the wrong hole during a bedroom fun. In a Tiktok video which went Viral on social medias, A lady was seen in the video as she was in a great pain fanning her private part which a book as she was heard saying her boyfriend penetrated in the wrong hole. READ MORE: Man wrestles with an alligator as he saves his puppy (Watch video) The Video was posted on Instagram. Watch Video below View this post on Instagram A post shared by HYPED YOUTHS FAN PAGE (@hypedyouths)

"Your mama ain't leaving any time soon" Bobrisky warns "upcoming wannabe Bobriskys" that they can't take his "throne"

Nigerian Barbie doll, Bobrisky warned all upcoming wanna be Bobriskys that who are hoping to come for his throne must work hard. He also warned all those who wants him to be out of his throne that he has no plans of giving up. He wrote: "No one sit on her throne. All dis upcoming wanna be Bobrisky be ready to work extremely hard to sit on dis throne cos ur mama ain’t leaving anytime soon. Still leading as no ONE in Africa." SEE HIS INSTAGRAM POSTS BELOW

Man arrested for having s*x with chickens and his own dog, resulting in the death of 15 chickens

A supermarket worker, who is identified as Shane Waters has been arrested and banned from having animals for life after having sex with chickens and a dog. This came after Shane was exposed by a farmer who discovered a number of the birds at his Accrington farm in England were injured and dead. On September 19, The farmer at the Lower Holker farm, Accruington opened his chicken sheds but unfortunately saw the chickens were injured and dead. On checking CCTV footage, he discovered that Waters prowling around the man’s farm before leaving the barn at 11.40pm. Shane was later arrested on September 23 and told officers: “I need help. I know what I have done. I just get these urges.” He also admitted to having sex with his own pet dog. Burnley Crown Court heard Waters, a supermarket stock checker, has previous convictions for abusing horses in 1997 and 2016. Judge Sara Dodd said the case was “as unusual as it is disturbing” as she sentenced him to 30 months in jail, according

31yr old Man rapes woman in vehicle after arranging to buy her underwear

A 31yr old Man (Luis Francisco Cruz) was arrested by the East Pennsboro Police after allegedly raping a woman who had arranged to sell him her underwear in a transaction on Facebook Marketplace. According to the Police, Luis Francisco Cruz, 31, is charged with rape, sexual assault, aggravated indecent assault, false imprisonment, and indecent assault. READ ALSO:  Covid-19: Do not travel home for the festivities – FG appeals to Nigerians READ ALSO: Gowon stole half of CBN – UK parliament member claims (WatchVideo) The victim reported the sexual assault on Oct. 24, but the incident occurred on June 12, according to the victim. According to police, the victim reported that Cruz contacted the victim on social media earlier this year, offering to buy her panties. The victim said she agreed to meet with him for the transaction because she had lost her job, but explicitly told him in her messages to him that there would be "no sex" involved, police say. When the victim m

A thief set ablaze in Delta for snatching phone with toy gun (Pictures)

According to the reports, A Thief was death and set ablaze by angry mobs in Idjerhe community, Ethiope West Local Government Area of Delta State on Tuesday morning, November 24. It was reported that the suspect, who was part of a two-man gang robbed a lady with a toy gun and snatched her mobile phone and undisclosed sum of money. READ ALSO:  Bride-To-Be Kidnapped Just Three Weeks To Her Wedding In Jigawa state, Nigeria READ ALSO:  Bobrisky and his lover in bed in a hotel room enjoying themselves (Watch Video) When the victim discovered that it was a toy gun, she raised the alarm and the suspected robbers fled. The alarm attracted the attention of the a mob in the area, who pursued the suspects. They caught one of them, beat him to death before setting his body ablaze. Spokesperson of the State Police Command, DSP Onome Onovwakpoyeya, confirmed the incident. SEE THE PICTURES BELOW