Skip to main content

COVID19: Trump sidelines CDC in push to reopen the US economy


Richard Jackson may be a public health scientist who led the environmental health at the us Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for nine years

He directed the CDC's response to the 9/11 , 2001, attacks and proudly watched the agency win battles against smallpox, Legionnaire's disease, and swine influenza .

Nowadays, Jackson and his fellow public health scientists are dismayed by the CDC's muddled response to the coronavirus pandemic.

"This is that the quite thing the CDC has been preparing for. I expected they might be functional and that they weren't," Jackson told the Al Jazeera press agency .

"There should are hands-on, omnipresent leadership from day one while this thing was breaking," said Jackson, a retired professor at the University of California Fielding School of Public Health.

Instead of leading, the CDC and lots of of its scientists are sidelined by President Donald Trump and its director, Dr Robert Redfield, creating a politicised and diminished role for the agency. Inside the CDC, morale among the agency's bright and idealistic scientists has tanked, Jackson said.

"In my conversations, privately, the extent of morale is extremely bad. it's very low," Jackson said.

Troubles between President Trump and therefore the CDC began on February 25 when Dr Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, warned that the virus was spreading within the US and shutdowns would be required.

The stock exchange , already in free fall because the virus had spread to South Korea and Italy, plunged further. on the way back to Washington, DC, from a visit to India, Trump was angered by the news. Messonnier's message contradicted what the president had been saying.

"They were furious, and that they basically silenced and marginalised her and Redfield was totally intimidated," Jackson said of White House officials.

Trump quickly announced the establishment of a taskforce to be led by vice chairman Mike Pence and brought in Dr Deborah Birx from the US State Department to figure with Dr Anthony Fauci in leading the response to the pandemic. Redfield was included, but his role has been secondary, critics of the taskforce said.

For public health officials nationwide, the secondary role of CDC scientists within the White House's policy decisions is visible and problematic, said Dr Georges Benjamin, executive of the American Public Health Association in Washington, DC.

"Right now, the White home is controlling the message, controlling who says it," Benjamin told Al Jazeera. The CDC has not held a public briefing since early March.

White House aides created friction with CDC officials by delaying for quite month publication of detailed guidelines from the CDC on the way to reopen US businesses, schools, restaurants and public spaces. Edited guidelines were eventually posted on May 14 all of sudden or explanation from the CDC. More detailed guidance was delayed until May 19.

"They unrolled their more complete guidance last night within the middle of the night when nobody could see it," Benjamin said.

"Normally, they might have pulled together a call with all the state and native health officers and told us it had been coming. There would are a press conference to mention , 'Listen, this is often the simplest way for America to urge back to figure .' They didn't roll in the hay , I'm clear, because they weren't allowed to," he said.

An earlier draft of the CDC reopening guidance was shelved by a White House political nominee, consistent with reports by The Associated Press press agency .

Redfield and therefore the CDC drew criticism from Democratic politicians at a May 12 Senate hearing on the Trump administration's response to the pandemic.

Senator Chris Murphy blasted the Trump administration for failing to bring forward public guidance from scientists at the CDC on reopening. The delay would "cost lives", Murphy said.

There are other reports of White House interference with the CDC.

Trump and his White House team are pushing the CDC to vary how it collects data from states on COVID-19 deaths, the Daily Beast reported on May 13. The changes would revise downward the amount of cases reported, consistent with five CDC officials who spoke to the news outlet.

Some within the White House, including Birx and White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows, have begun to require aim at Redfield, consistent with a report within the Washington Post. during a recent taskforce meeting, Birx and Redfield engaged during a heated exchange about the accuracy of the CDC's work.

"There's nothing from the CDC that I can trust," Birx reportedly said.

Last month, the Department of Health and Human Services, during a move linked to Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner, issued a $10.2m contract to a personal company to gather data from states on hospital capacity and COVID-19 deaths. the info was already being collected by the CDC.

"The CDC's epidemiological work around infectious diseases is stellar. it's second to none. So, the thought that the CDC would be out counting cases and deaths is strictly their job, and that they are damned good at it," said Jackson.

"This latest thing, where the president's son-in-law goes out and finds a corporation to work out the way to undercount deaths is appalling," he said.

The conflict between the Trump White House and therefore the US's leading public health agency prompted an unusual editorial in UK-based medical journal The Lancet, rebuking the Trump administration.

"Punishing the agency by marginalising and hobbling it's not the answer ," The Lancet wrote on May 16.

"Only a steadfast reliance on basic public health principles like test, trace and isolate will see the emergency delivered to an end, and this needs an efficient national public health agency," The Lancet wrote.

The proof are going to be within the case data and death rates experienced in states outside of the ny City region, experts said. While case numbers are declining within the ny area, they're rising within the remainder of the US, whilst Trump and Republican governors push to reopen.

Comments

Popular Posts

"I Will Never Campaign For Any APC, PDP Member Again" – Nollywood Actress, Iyabo Ojo Vows

A Popular Nigerian actress (Iyabo Ojo ) has promised that she will never support or campaign for any member of PDP and APC in the next coming elections.

According to the actress, she posted this on her Twitter page with an Hashtag End Bad Governance

According to Iyabo Ojo twitter;


She Tweeted:

“I Alice Iyabo Ojo will never support or campaign for any APC or PDP member again in my life even if you are my family or friends. We need a new Nigeria. We need to stop recycling.”

Her post comes days after youths took to the street to demand an end to bad governance in Nigeria.

Lekki toll gate hidden camera: Fashola illegally tampered with exhibits – Lawyer Ebun Adegboruwa says

A Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) and member of the Lagos State Judicial Panel of Inquiry into the activities of the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), Mr Ebun Adegboruwa has accused Minister of Works and Housing (Babatunde Fashola) for Interfering with exhibits during a visit to Lekki toll gate as he led a Federal Government delegation to commiserate with the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu over the loss of lives and destruction of properties in the violence that rocked the state last week.

According to the SAN (Ebun Adegboruwa) it stated the it was illegal to conduct any visit at the Lekki Toll Plaza in the absense without the authority and also with out the permission of the panel, .appealed to the Governor of Lagos State to allow the Panel the full autonomy and independence that was promised at the time of inauguration




According to the statement; it reads


“BRF TAMPERS WITH EVIDENCE
AT LEKKI TOLL GATE ..RETRIEVES HIDDEN CAMERA WITHOUT PANEL’S CONSENT....”

USURPATI…

Buhari Reveals that 69 persons were killed during the #ENDSARS Protest in Nigeria

According to the Nigerian President Buhari has revealed that 69 persons has been killed during the #ENDSARS protest across the Country.

According to the BBC reports, It was stated that the Nigerian president has revealed this statement during a virtual meeting with the former leaders and security chiefs on Friday October 2.

He also stated during the meeting that 51 civilians, 11 police officers, and seven soldiers were killed in the unrest.

Buhari was quoted saying in a statement released by Femi Adesina that the killing came off an “initial genuine and well-intended protest of youths which was hijacked and misdirected”.



It was further gathered that the Nigerian President who stated that his administration will not allow miscreants and criminals to continue to perpetrate acts of hooliganism in the country, accused the protesters of refusing to call off the protest in spite of meeting their demands.



According to his statement, He read;


”Unfortunately, the protesters refused to call of…

Bobrisky flaunts herself with no makeup on (Photos)

This Nigerian Barbie doll (Bobrisky) shows off her new self with no makeup on instagram as she shows off her new face on Instagram

Presidency explains why Buhari didn't speak on Lekki toll gate shooting in his speech

The President of Nigeria (Muhammadu Buhari) has stated the reason why he didnt speak on Lekki toll gate shootings during his speech on Thursday, October 22.

According to the presidential aide (Femi Adeshina) during an interview of channels Tv "Politics Today" he said that it will be “premature and presumptuous" for Buhari to talk about the shooting as it was still being investigated.



According to Femi Adesina said;


“The Defence Headquarters issued a statement to say that it was investigating the matter. Lagos State Governor has also set up a probe panel to investigate what really happened.

“So, the President couldn’t have said anything because it would be premature and presumptuous while investigation is ongoing. It is after investigation has been concluded that he can speak on the matter.”

A Nigerian Lawyer Reveals How Abuja Thugs Were Paid N1,500 To Attack And Damage Cars During the #ENDSARS Protests

According to a protester who was attacked by the hoodlums in Abuja stated her experiences with ADELANI ADEPEGBA in this interview.

What is your name?

I’m Kaka George. I’m a lawyer.

During the #EndSARS protests in Abuja, you were attacked and your car was damaged. What is the level of damage to your car?

It is a Toyota Prado 2008 model. The hoodlums damaged the front and rear windshields, all the windows, front and rear bumpers, and the boot as well. The repair cost was put at N300,000. We are looking for money and people have been generous.

How do you feel about the attack?

It is sad to see that the thugs could let themselves be manipulated when we were fighting for all of us. Just because of the N1,500 they said they were paid, they caused a damage of over N300,000. It is disheartening to see that fellow youths and citizens would allow themselves to be used in that way but we are pushing through it all and we are still taking our stand. That same day, my phone was damaged, I bruised my kne…

Trump’s supporter pulls a gun on protesters after a liquid was splashed on him (Watch video)

According to a video that was shared online, It was seen that Trump supporter was pulling a gun on protesters after a liquid was splashed on him.

In the video that was recorded at the scene, This incident took place at the Woodinville at the north of the kirkland, the man was seen as he pulled a gun as he was spotted wearing pro- Trump cap and waving a gun at the protesters.

The lady who captured the incident in a video, was then heard demanding to get his name as well as the names of the people he seemed to be rolling with, who also looked like Trump supporters from their getups.



After being berated for threatening violence as he placed back the gun to where he pulled it out from, the man gave an excuse of "something being dumped on him". The lady claims it's just water and calls him a snowflake.


The police were called into the scene, the Trump supporter who claimed a mix of spit and piss was dumped on him was neither arrested of detained. TMZ reported that police are now …