Skip to main content

Trump expresses opposition to extending unemployment benefits

President Trump on Tuesday privately expressed opposition to extending a weekly $600 boost in unemployment insurance for laid-off workers suffering from the coronavirus pandemic, consistent with three officials conversant in his remarks during a closed-door lunch with Republican senators on Capitol Hill . 
The increased unemployment benefits — paid by the federal but administered through individual states — were enacted this year as a part of a broader $2 trillion relief package gone by Congress. The boost expires this summer, and House Democrats have proposed extending the help through January 2021. 
But congressional Republicans have said they're concerned that some workers are making extra money on unemployment insurance than if they were on a payroll and thus have less incentive to return to figure or find a replacement job. 
“You can extend some assistance, but you don’t want to pay people more unemployed than they’d make working. you ought to never make quite your actual wages,” said Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.), who said he raised the difficulty with Trump during the lunch. While Trump didn't explicitly say he wouldn't sign another bill if it contained a benefit boost, Graham said “he agrees that that's hurting the economic recovery.” 
Many economists fear isolating the benefit extension could hamper the economic recovery. Government spending on unemployment benefits rose by $45 billion from February to April, offsetting slightly quite half the decline privately wages and salary, consistent with a recent study by the Brookings Institution. Republicans have maintained that the upper benefit will give workers an incentive to remain reception instead of attend work, but eliminating the huge cash infusion could further depress demand amid fears consumers are already curtailing dramatically on spending. 
Trump’s advisers have expressed confidence the economy will quickly recover, a view at odds with many economists. 

Trump also implored Senate Republicans to require their time on subsequent phase of coronavirus legislation to urge it right — consistent with the officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to debate a personal conversation — mirroring the strategy of senior Republican leaders who have argued that lawmakers should hit pause before passing another massive rescue package. 
“There could also be some more needs out there,” Sen. Kevin Cramer (R-N.D.) told reporters following the lunch. “After we revisit , and after subsequent week once we revisit , we’ll take a glance and see what we will , and keep focused on the items that are necessary and helpful.” 
House legislator Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) also told reporters Tuesday morning that he “doesn’t see the necessity right now” to barter with Democrats on new virus response legislation. 
The unemployment benefits weren’t the sole provisions pushed by Democrats that Trump signaled opposition to during the lunch with GOP senators. The president, a vocal critic of voting by mail, also objected to language within the House Democratic plan passed last week that expands voting options before the November elections, including mail-in balloting, consistent with two of the officials. 

Comments

Popular Posts

"I Will Never Campaign For Any APC, PDP Member Again" – Nollywood Actress, Iyabo Ojo Vows

A Popular Nigerian actress (Iyabo Ojo ) has promised that she will never support or campaign for any member of PDP and APC in the next coming elections.

According to the actress, she posted this on her Twitter page with an Hashtag End Bad Governance

According to Iyabo Ojo twitter;


She Tweeted:

“I Alice Iyabo Ojo will never support or campaign for any APC or PDP member again in my life even if you are my family or friends. We need a new Nigeria. We need to stop recycling.”

Her post comes days after youths took to the street to demand an end to bad governance in Nigeria.

Lekki toll gate hidden camera: Fashola illegally tampered with exhibits – Lawyer Ebun Adegboruwa says

A Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) and member of the Lagos State Judicial Panel of Inquiry into the activities of the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), Mr Ebun Adegboruwa has accused Minister of Works and Housing (Babatunde Fashola) for Interfering with exhibits during a visit to Lekki toll gate as he led a Federal Government delegation to commiserate with the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu over the loss of lives and destruction of properties in the violence that rocked the state last week.

According to the SAN (Ebun Adegboruwa) it stated the it was illegal to conduct any visit at the Lekki Toll Plaza in the absense without the authority and also with out the permission of the panel, .appealed to the Governor of Lagos State to allow the Panel the full autonomy and independence that was promised at the time of inauguration




According to the statement; it reads


“BRF TAMPERS WITH EVIDENCE
AT LEKKI TOLL GATE ..RETRIEVES HIDDEN CAMERA WITHOUT PANEL’S CONSENT....”

USURPATI…

Buhari Reveals that 69 persons were killed during the #ENDSARS Protest in Nigeria

According to the Nigerian President Buhari has revealed that 69 persons has been killed during the #ENDSARS protest across the Country.

According to the BBC reports, It was stated that the Nigerian president has revealed this statement during a virtual meeting with the former leaders and security chiefs on Friday October 2.

He also stated during the meeting that 51 civilians, 11 police officers, and seven soldiers were killed in the unrest.

Buhari was quoted saying in a statement released by Femi Adesina that the killing came off an “initial genuine and well-intended protest of youths which was hijacked and misdirected”.



It was further gathered that the Nigerian President who stated that his administration will not allow miscreants and criminals to continue to perpetrate acts of hooliganism in the country, accused the protesters of refusing to call off the protest in spite of meeting their demands.



According to his statement, He read;


”Unfortunately, the protesters refused to call of…

Bobrisky flaunts herself with no makeup on (Photos)

This Nigerian Barbie doll (Bobrisky) shows off her new self with no makeup on instagram as she shows off her new face on Instagram

Presidency explains why Buhari didn't speak on Lekki toll gate shooting in his speech

The President of Nigeria (Muhammadu Buhari) has stated the reason why he didnt speak on Lekki toll gate shootings during his speech on Thursday, October 22.

According to the presidential aide (Femi Adeshina) during an interview of channels Tv "Politics Today" he said that it will be “premature and presumptuous" for Buhari to talk about the shooting as it was still being investigated.



According to Femi Adesina said;


“The Defence Headquarters issued a statement to say that it was investigating the matter. Lagos State Governor has also set up a probe panel to investigate what really happened.

“So, the President couldn’t have said anything because it would be premature and presumptuous while investigation is ongoing. It is after investigation has been concluded that he can speak on the matter.”

A Nigerian Lawyer Reveals How Abuja Thugs Were Paid N1,500 To Attack And Damage Cars During the #ENDSARS Protests

According to a protester who was attacked by the hoodlums in Abuja stated her experiences with ADELANI ADEPEGBA in this interview.

What is your name?

I’m Kaka George. I’m a lawyer.

During the #EndSARS protests in Abuja, you were attacked and your car was damaged. What is the level of damage to your car?

It is a Toyota Prado 2008 model. The hoodlums damaged the front and rear windshields, all the windows, front and rear bumpers, and the boot as well. The repair cost was put at N300,000. We are looking for money and people have been generous.

How do you feel about the attack?

It is sad to see that the thugs could let themselves be manipulated when we were fighting for all of us. Just because of the N1,500 they said they were paid, they caused a damage of over N300,000. It is disheartening to see that fellow youths and citizens would allow themselves to be used in that way but we are pushing through it all and we are still taking our stand. That same day, my phone was damaged, I bruised my kne…

Trump’s supporter pulls a gun on protesters after a liquid was splashed on him (Watch video)

According to a video that was shared online, It was seen that Trump supporter was pulling a gun on protesters after a liquid was splashed on him.

In the video that was recorded at the scene, This incident took place at the Woodinville at the north of the kirkland, the man was seen as he pulled a gun as he was spotted wearing pro- Trump cap and waving a gun at the protesters.

The lady who captured the incident in a video, was then heard demanding to get his name as well as the names of the people he seemed to be rolling with, who also looked like Trump supporters from their getups.



After being berated for threatening violence as he placed back the gun to where he pulled it out from, the man gave an excuse of "something being dumped on him". The lady claims it's just water and calls him a snowflake.


The police were called into the scene, the Trump supporter who claimed a mix of spit and piss was dumped on him was neither arrested of detained. TMZ reported that police are now …